According to a latest survey, there are around 2.4 million places of worship in India, much more than schools, colleges and hospital combined. These make up the cultural fabric of India’s culture, mythology and spirituality that exists several hundreds years ago. Some of them are popular pilgrimage centers and attract several thousands of devotees and tourists in a year while several others though equally significant do not have the same kind of patronage, due to poor maintenance, lack of awareness or infrastructure. Apart from the paucity of funds that has seen several temples bite dust, urbanization and vandalism and a general attitude of disregard among the public have contributed to the cause.
Aalayam Kanden Trust has been created with the primary objective of creating awareness and appreciation about ancient, unique and lesser known temples and the rich cultural, mythological and spiritual evidence they carry. We strongly feel that behavioral change towards protecting and maintaining these great treasures would happen once the history of these temples is revealed.
· Identifying and creating awareness about ancient, lesser known temples through its blog.
· Documenting the history and mythology associated with the temple.
· Supporting translation and printing of Sthalapuranams in English and other Indian languages
· Collecting old books on temples,digitising and organizing them into a heritage library for public.
· Placing signboards in prominent locations with clear directions to lesser known temples.
· Providing better facilities like lights, public address systems, generators, emergency lights, invertors, digital cameras etc.
· Organising tours to lesser known and unique temples to promote patronage.
· Create patrons for identified temples to enable upkeep, maintenance and repairs.
· Train rural youth and able senior citizens as well-informed and knowledgeable heritage guides
HOW CAN YOU SUPPORT
· By contributing towards the activities of Aalayam Kanden Trust
· By becoming a patron of any of the identified temples by contributing as less as Rs.5000/-
· By donating books on temples and sthalapuranams
· By becoming a volunteer
You can send your contributions via Cash/Cheque or Demand draft to “Aalayam Kanden Trust” payable at Chennai or via bank transfer to Punjab National Bank, SB Account No. 6028000100005596, West Mambalam, Chennai 600 033. NEFT/IFSC Code: PUNB0602800
Phone: 044-43512864/98404 81565/97909 18056